So the problem was that with a fresh install of Windows XP Service Pack 2, the Audigy software was installing but failing to work properly after install. Using the original Installation CD, it would go through the install just fine, but on reboot, trying to open any of the Audigy applications (such as Speaker Calibration, EAX Console) would result in an error hinting at installation / hardware recognition issues. For example “Surround Mixer” “Unable to load needed components”. Diagnostics was failing all bar DirectSound 3D.
So there was a good few posts on the Soundblaster.com forums.. some hinting that a “clean sweep” would work. The link supplied was to this Knowledge Base article.. but a reinstall after that yielded the same results.
So my solution was to download the latest drivers and manually install them. At the time of writing, that was v1.84.55. If you just run the .exe it will probably fail saying it couldn’t find any existing compatible drivers to update (sigh!). So I extracted it with WinRAR. And within the Drivers folder of the extracted file is a CTZAPXX.exe application. I ran it first selecting the Driver Uninstallation option first (and ticking “Delete all shared Creative audio driver files”), and rebooted.
On reboot, I canceled out of the standard New Hardware Found / Device Driver installation dialog boxes. I ran the same CTZAPXX.exe application again, this time opting for “Driver Installation” and ticking “Overwrite existing shared Creative audio driver files”. Another reboot later (just for good measure), I let the New Hardware wizard do it’s thing, and all is hunky dory.
I’ve not seen a solution to this anywhere, so I said I’d type it up, in the hope that it’d save someone the hours of frustration I went through.